Thoughts on toolboxes...

Hi,

I will be getting a new 06 Taco in the next few weeks and am debating buying an aluminum toolbox for it. It is an access cab so I will be able to carry some things in the small compartments beneath the rear seats, but not very much. In my old regular cab truck I used to carry a lot of things behind the seat (not an option with this truck) like: tow webbing, come-along, small toolbox, axe, small 12v air compressor, rope, first aid, flashlight, etc. Since all of this stuff will not fit in those small compartments under the seat, I would have to have them kicking around in the back or leave them at home... which has got me thinking about a toolbox.

Disadvantages in having one that I can think of is the reduction in the size of the bed, their appearance, etc. The truck is not a work truck, but more for recreational use, hunting, fishing, towing, etc.

Would like others opinions on the merits/disadvantages of having one. My wife works for Toyota so she could get me an OEM or I could buy an aftermarket one.

Many thanks,

Darryl

Reply to
DP

There's such a thing as an OEM Yota tool box? Why not get one of those fiber glass bed covers? They look sharp pained same color as the vehicle plus probably make air flow over bed better. Ya can hide anything under them.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I got an aluminum gullwing toolbox for my 04 Taco standard cab. I use it to carry stuff like you describe, and it works well for that purpose. Every once in a while I think about getting a canopy, but the toolbox provides enough locking storage space for my needs, and I like having the rest of the bed available. If you get a toolbox that doesn't reach to the bed, you'll find that there's still enough clearance to put long, flat stuff (e.g., lumber) in the bed under the toolbox.

I got my toolbox at Napa. If I had to do it over again, I'd spend more money and get a better-quality toolbox. The box itself is fine, but both locks fell apart within a year and a half.

=== Steve Shoreline, Washington USA snipped-for-privacy@seanet.com

16 Mar 2006, 1932 PST
Reply to
Stephen Dailey

Get the aluminum diamond finish. I got the "Better Built" brand for my 99 Tacoma Access Cab.It's very well built. A few dollars more than some of the cheaper ones,but well worth it. As soon as you open it up you can see the advantage over the cheaper ones. Good Luck...

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

Truck boxes are a necessity for trucks. With the right mounting bolts can be easily removed for more bed space when needed.

The one I have is a chest type (Delta) instead of the rail-rail type. With a tonno cover over the bed, no one knows I even have it.

studio

Thanks for all the responses...

Darryl

Reply to