Timing chain problems-22re

I have a 1990 Toyota 4wd P/U with 137K and a 22re engine. Removed the cylinder head cover after hearing some noise in that area for a while. The timing chain has some slack to it and to my horror it is wearing a groove into the side of the engine or the timing chain cover. Also there is a small oil leak that appears to be coming from the water pump gasket ( or so close to it that I can't tell the difference). Anyways I know it will cost at least $800 to fix and would like to know:

  1. Is it realistic that the chain will eat all the way through the engine causing it to die? Or can I put it off for a while and hope for the best?

  1. Is the oil leak something to worry about. I have not noticed any oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil.

The truck seems to run fine though the mpg has gone down. Don't really have the money to spend right now so anybodys advice on this would be appreciated.

Reply to
JC

the longer you wait, the more metal particles you have in the oil. the more metal in the oil means more damage to the bearings you will have. Borrow the money now if you have to. Get the oil replaced after the chain is replaced...

The repair manuals state 9 hours to have the chain replaced Thats about $500. Call around for chain replacement prices. The seals are cheap and quickly installed.

Reply to
diespammer

Eventually, (and it sounds like this may have already happened) the chain will eat a hole into the timing chain cover and then you really will have problems. Get the timing chain replaced and require the mechanic to use metal backed guides and not the crappy plain plastic OEM parts. There are a few places that sell conversion kits to go to a double roller timing chain and gears set up as well, but that is more money as it requires a different timing chain cover as well. However, it is possible that you may be needing a timing chain cover anyway. Make sure whoever fixes it, checks it out very closely or you'll wind up pouring $$$ down a hole. Just the opines of a 22re owner ;>) Chris whitewall junkie Mfinja's Hot Wheels with WhitewallsAll Small Wheels Error Cars

Reply to
Whitewall Junkie