Tire Question

I have an 86 4Runner which is equipped with tires that are 31x10.50x15. I've noticed the book says the tires should be p235x75x15. What is the difference between these 2 tires??

Joe

Reply to
Joe Dzurinda

I have an 86 Toyota 4Runner which is equipped with tires that are

31x10.50x15. I've noticed the book calls for tires that are P235x75x15. What is the difference in these 2 tires??

Joe

Reply to
joe

31x10.50-15

That's a 31" diameter tire which is 10.5" wide and it fits a 15" rim To convert to metric:

31" tire - 15" rim =16" total sidewall.

16" total sidewall = 406mm

406mm/2 = 203mm sidewall

10.5" width = 267mm ~ 265mm

Take 267/203 = 76% ~ 75%

approximately you got a 265/75 R15 tire (it's not exact due to rounding)

Reply to
Keyser Söze
31x10.50x15. | I've noticed the book says the tires should be p235x75x15. What is the | difference between these 2 tires?? | | Joe | |

Go here:

Jarhead

Go here:

Jarhead

Your tires are 2" taller than stock size, which should translate to about a

9% reduction in your final drive ratio, and 9% error on your speedometer.

Reply to
Dan G

"the book"? The owners manual calls for 225/75x15 but they are not a popular size so tire dealers substitute the 235.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thank you all! I didn't expect an answer so fast and then so many. My next question would be why would you put tires that are 31x10.50x15 on a truck when I would think the P235x75x15 would be easier to find?

Joe

Reply to
joe

Extra tire height, greater ground clearance under the truck for off-road use. Many of the light truck tires only come in the inch sizes, 31x10.50 is a very common size and some Toyota 4x4s came with that size from the factory.

Reply to
Roger Brown

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:10:21 -0400, "joe" went like:

The 31's are a very popular tire size for mini trucks and suvs. They give you a slightly higher and wider stance. Any tire store worth a damn should offer a good selection in that size.

Reply to
feck

Thanks! good utility!

Reply to