towing

I have a 1998 toyota tacoma 4-cylinder two wheel drive manual. I would like to know if my truck would be able to pull a 5' by 8' u-haul trailer, from salt lake to seattle.

Reply to
David.Strasser

David,

It could do so easily when it left the factory - towing cap is 3500 lbs / 350 lbs tongue wt. Assuming your 98 is in reasonable mechanical shape you will have no problems. Keep it out of 5th gear.

Got a Tacoma? Join spam free

a Corolla? Join spam free

harriswest

I'd make absolutely sure you had your gear lube changed before the trip, and make sure your cooling system's in excellent shape. My only other comment involves just one experience with a U-Haul trailer - one of the flat, open ones - not the enclosed kind. I already had my own hitch on the truck, and I'd been towing a boat without any trouble at all. The U-Haul trailer jerked the truck all over the place in ways that definitely did NOT feel right. (2002 Tacoma TRD - nice, stiff suspension). Fortunately, I only needed to make two short local trips with it. When I returned it, a different guy came out and said something about the hitch on the trailer being adjusted incorrectly. Not sure how, but look out for that. I would NOT have wanted to take that trailer on a highway.

Reply to
Doug Kanter