Toyota quality?

I keep hearing about the great quality. Iwas wondering if anyone in this news group who has a 2005 Tacoma and has owned an older Tacoma let me know if the older Tacoms had really cheap plasticy interiors like my 2005 Tacoma has.. Everything scratches or skuffs so easily and my door panel armrest cracked when I leaned on it to take my wallet out of my back pocket at the drive up ATM machine. not only that, but my whipers went out of sync, dealer had to fix at 600 miles. two nuts fell off the parking break, now the break is useless, dealer will fix next week. At only 5000 miles the rear leaf springs squeak like qrazy, dealer will fix next week. I am just wondering if this is a preview of things to come. This is my first non "big 3 " truck and has given me more little problems in

5000 miles than my Dodge or GMC. so you long time Toyota guys let me know if in the long haul, did I make the right choice with Toyota.
Reply to
Metal Daze

I have a 2005 Tacoma... The only time it's been in for service was for oil / filter changes. (I do them at 3000 miles not 5000) No scratches or breaks inside. The shocks make a noise going over speed bumps when cold. I seldom use the parking brake but I had the dealer check the nuts because I read about a Canadian recall on it.

I had a 94 Toyota PU 4x4. Yes it had a lot of metal inside and held-up well. The parking brake on that one required service on a regular basis (the bracket on the rear axle rusted and the brake wouldn't release completely)

I have to say I am very happy with my new truck.... Our fourth Toyota and there will be more coming.

Reply to
JSR

I have a 2005 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7L 5 speed. It has 3000 miles on it and has had no problems at all. I had a 2002 Tacoma and am very impressed with the way this one is built compared to the 2002. Everything is tight, no loose bolts, no squeaks or rattles. My brother-in-law has a Dodge Ram. At

Reply to
Bob Palmer

I'm still thrilled with my '05 Access Cab V6 4x4 TRD Off-Road.

Hmmm. As I look out the window at the truck the cockles of my heart warm.

Friday, it hauled woodworking stuff around in a 5x12 trailer, yesterday, it was floor finishing tools and materials, today it'll get

4 kayaks strapped in the back.

This is my third and best ever Toyota truck. I've also had a Nissan King Cab, (3) Wranglers, a Subaru Outback, a few Ford and Chevy medium trucks and vans, a few small cars like Protege's and Corollas, a Lincoln Mark VII. Ooops, there go my cockles warming again!

If the doors and roof came off the Tacoma, I could ditch my TJ Sport.

Wanna' see a cheap interior? Check out a Colorado or Canyon!

Reply to
Bonehenge

I have a 05 Tundra that the engine makes a knocking noise at low speeds,the tranny is not wanting to change into OD, the wipers also quit working on mine. I am trying to unload this thing badly.It has 7000 miles on it. I also had a brand new 2000 Sienna that was gotten rid of at 12000 miles for many problems. I was stupid enough to try it again on the 05 Tundra. I wonder how much they pay CR to rate them so high. I never had these problems with my 93 Nissan that I wished I had back with

182k miled! Of course the dealer cant duplicate the problems!
Reply to
specman1

A mechanic told me that the Sienna takes about 100 mechanic hours to change an engine. Anyone know if this is true???

Reply to
Ben Johnson

When I first bought my 2003 4runner, it was cosmetically problematic too, but once the bugs were worked out, it was solid since then... not a single trip to the dealer except for oil changes

Reply to
Dan J.S.

My brother just bought an '05 XCab PreRunner and loves it. I asked him if he'd checked the origin of build and he said "Baja, Mexico", whereas my '00 came from the Fremont, CA plant.

?

Anyone know how the Tacoma/Tundra production is divided up these days? Is it all Mexico or Fremont or shared?

Stew

Reply to
S.Lewis

My '05 Access Cab V6 4x4 sez' Fremont on the door sticker.

Reply to
B a r r y

Still assembled by Mexican laborers no matter which plant...

Reply to
dissembler

I thought Fremont/NUMMI was a UAW (meaning union) plant? If that's right, I can't see the union agreeing to any type of non-union worker in there. ?

Reply to
S.Lewis

All you ever wanted to know.

Reply to
B a r r y

"" wrote: > I keep hearing about the great quality. > Iwas wondering if anyone in this news group who has a 2005 > Tacoma and has > owned an older Tacoma let me know if the older Tacoms had > really cheap > plasticy interiors like my 2005 Tacoma has.. > Everything scratches or skuffs so easily and my door panel > armrest cracked > when I leaned on it to take my wallet out of my back pocket at > the drive up > ATM machine. > not only that, but my whipers went out of sync, dealer had to > fix at 600 > miles. > two nuts fell off the parking break, now the break is useless, > dealer will > fix next week. > At only 5000 miles the rear leaf springs squeak like qrazy, > dealer will fix > next week. > I am just wondering if this is a preview of things to come. > This is my first non "big 3 " truck and has given me more > little problems in > 5000 miles than my Dodge or GMC. > so you long time Toyota guys let me know if in the long haul, > did I make the > right choice with Toyota.

I have a ?05 Tacoma V6 4x4 with 4,000 miles on it, still no problems. I traded a ?98 Tacoma 4 Cylinder 4x4 with 200,000 miles on it. The ?98 was still in great shape minus a few dents due to hitting a deer. The only thing ever replaced or even worked on on the ?98 was the universal joint; however, 2 buttons on the radio fell out (if that counts as a defect).

Reply to
Zakalous
05 tacoma access cab 2.7 5spd SR5 4x4 with 8000 miles . Had a 91 2wd 2.4L 5spd lasted 200k and was still running good. I find the interior somewhat fragile scratches easy. Bed knock/rattle anoying. But I like driving this truck and find the 2.7 is perfect for my commuter lite music gear hauling. The truck looks and feels well made as the old one. Now if some one would come up with a fast idle fix so I stop scareing children on cold starts!
Reply to
kgt

I've owned 3 Toyota trucks, all bought new.

1989 pickup. Cost: $5,995. Mi.used before selling: 45,000 2000 Preunner Tacoma. Cost: $23,000. Mi. used before selling: 13,000 2004 4D 4WD Tacoma. Cost: $28,000. Mi. used so far: 4,000

The 2004 does have a cheaper interior, no locking gas door/cap (?), and a major recall for the steering knuckle ball joints, and a locking diff that won't lock.

The 2000 had a slightly better interior, but it had a rattley airbag on the passenger side. Other than that, no problems.

The 1989 pickup with 4 speed man. trans, no power anything, no air, not even a radio. It had a bad anti-knock sensor which the dealer replaced at no charge. At 40,000mi. had new breaks put on, new clutch, then had a master cylinder fail, and I had the seats reupholstered after 7 years, a 3rd set of better tires and wheels put on, and a inside door handle spring break after 9 years. I also went through exhaust systems almost every 2 years. I probably should have spent a little extra and put a stainless exhaust on it.

None-the-less, out of the 3.....I miss the little 1989 pickup the most. It was simple, fairly reliable and most of all.....good on gas. Despite having a more expensive truck now, whenever I see the less expensive ones, I think to myself, "that's a nice truck".

Reply to
studio

"" wrote: > 05 tacoma access cab 2.7 5spd SR5 4x4 with 8000 miles . Had a > 91 2wd > 2.4L 5spd lasted 200k and was still running good. I find the > interior > somewhat fragile scratches easy. Bed knock/rattle anoying. But > I like > driving this truck and find the 2.7 is perfect for my commuter > lite > music gear hauling. The truck looks and feels well made as the > old one. > Now if some one would come up with a fast idle fix so I stop > scareing > children on cold starts!

Speaking of which: My 2005 Tacoma 4 Cly fast idles at 2100 rpm. Should I be concerned enough to have someone tweak the computer (and void the warranty)? Growing up around rides and rods it feels/sounds like it?s taking thousands of miles off the life of the motor. Thanks for your time, Rich

Reply to
Rich97702

Does it idle that way only when it's cold, or all the time?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Just when it?s cold. The dealership says they?re set up that way at the factory because "people don?t let them warm up long enough before driving". I?m just not one of those "people".

Reply to
Rich97702

Well, I *have* noticed something that's been confirmed by others here: When the truck's cold, it will not shift up past 2nd. Above 70 degrees or so, this condition only lasts a minute. When it's really cold, it's about 3 minutes, and I drive it gently. Fortunately, I have a little time before I have to get on a highway. So, I wonder if Toyota thought the high idle would shorten this warmup time, otherwise people who don't notice the situation (and those people exist) would be cranking down the highway at 55 mph in 2nd or 3rd.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I drove an 86 4x4 SR5 pickup to 300,000 miles with no problems...only replaced radiator, starter contacts, battery and water pump in that whole time. And if I hadn't moved to Missouri it would probably still look brand new! I now have a 93 4x4 pickup with 170,000 miles and it runs great, no problems and nothing yet replaced. Both of these were the made-in-Japan 4 cylinder engine that did so well for Toyota. Sorry you didn't have the same experience.

Reply to
Brian Faddis