trailer light converter

Recently my converter bit the dust on my '99 4-runner. As I'm handicapped, I went to my local Toyota dealer and asked how much to replace it. They told me $300!!!?? What's the deal? Can anyone offer or suggest an alternative for me?

Thanks in advance, Mike

Reply to
Mike McCollum

$33.10 here:

Roger Brown

Roger..exactly what I needed. Thanks buddy.

Mike

Mike McCollum

You can get the same thing at any Wal-Mart.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

Actually, you can't...not the Super Wally World near me at least. They do not have one suitable for a 4 Runner...just the Tacoma and according to the company (Hoppy?) the two are not interchangeable. Thanks anyway though.

Mike

Reply to
Mike McCollum

You can get the universal one for about $10. You just have to manually figure out which wires are which. I figure it's worth saving $20 to trace the wires.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

Actually, to be safe with any car, I'd go for the powered adapter kit also. It takes some more wiring up, and you need a new fused power lead run through (or under) the car to the battery to feed the trailer lights - but it almost 100% guarantees that no matter what goes wrong with the trailer lights, you can't damage the car wiring.

I don't run one myself - but then again, I'm an Electrician. Kids, I DO do this at home.

I wired the lights on all my trailers by hand, the right way (4-light system - works with any tow vehicle) and they wouldn't dare short out on me. ;-) And all my tow vehicles have conventional wiring.

Though if I buy a brand new car with the taillight monitor module, or other fancy electronics that could get blown out by a short in the trailer wiring, I'd be installing one of these in a heartbeat. BEFORE blowing something expensive up.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman