1999 4Runner clutch noise

My 1999 (4 cyl and manual transmission) has given me just one problem since I bought it a couple of months ago. The clutch makes a squeaking sound. I lubricated the parts under the dashwboard (pedals and whatever seemed to be connected to the clutch pedal) but the noise continues. It is driving me nuts.

Can this be a sign of clutch trouble? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Guicho.

Reply to
Guicho

hey guicho, i just got a 1999 4runner sr5 manual tranny. i'm hearing the same problem. driving me nuts too. i lubed what seems to be the problem (underneath the truck). however, the souce of the squeak seams to be encased in a rubber (ventilated) chamber, or perhaps the metallic piston-like thing it's attached to. still squeaking, tho. did you have any luck with your problem? if you find any solution, PLEASE POST BACK!

-stev=o

Reply to
-stev0

okay, check this out.

i found it as advice on another site:

zuck23 I have a 2000 Manual Tran. 4 Runner. I've only owned it for 9 months and it's got approx. 65K miles on it. I've had a squeak in the clutch for a few months and everyone has told me it's a release bearing starting to go, but don't worry nothing to serious. Well, not I've got a popping sound coming from my clutch virtually every time it is pressed and released. Now they are telling me it's locking up and needing to be replaced. Apparentely the bearing is inside the bell housing and is quite labor intensive - might as well replace the clutch while you are up in there.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how much a clutch should cost?

Mike

ToyotaTech Make sure it is not the spring on the pedal itself I have replaced alot of the bushings that the spring sets in. This is the spring that brings back the pedal.

zuck23 Thanks for the thoughts - everyone just kept telling me that it's the release bearing so this is hopefully good news. I have a friend that owns a shop here so I'm going to have him check it out this weekend. HOpefully saves me for spending all the money for a new clutch. I drive so much highway I'm just nervous about my clutch going out.

Thanks again!

Brian R. You can tell the difference. With the engine running, hold the clutch pedal to the floor. A release bearing will make a noise when the clutch is held to the floor (as well as when it is being pressed), the return spring will only make noise when the clutch pedal is in motion being pressed or released, not while the pedal is held to the floor.

----looks like the last bit of advice might save both of our arses.

-stev=o

Reply to
-stev0

I have a 98 Tacoma, same problem. I had two sources of the squeak. First one was coming from inside the truck at the clutch pedal. There are two plastic bushings in the shaft that the clutch pedal pivots on. I had to lube the hell out of those bushings for the noise to stop. I used wd-40 or something similar. After I got rid of the noise at the pedal I could hear the noise like you described. It was coming from the same spot. The "metallic piston-like thing " is the clutch slave cylinder. It pushes against the clutch fork. You need to pull back the rod coming out of the slave cylinder and put a dab of grease were it rubs against the clutch fork. I tried lubing it 3-4 times but it nothing worked until I pushed the piston back into the slave cylinder and lubed the clutch fork.

Reply to
Mike

Hi there,

Just saw your posting as I was surfing - I have a 2000 4Runner SR5 4x4 5sp manual, I bought the truck about 7 months ago. Shortly after buying the truck the clutch developed very intermittant sqweek and later a popping noise when depressed. Upon service, I asked about the issue (knowing that the truck had the clutch pedal bushings replaced under warrenty one year previous) and they said it just needed to be lubbed. The clutch was fine for a month or so, but then sqweeking started up again worse than before, so I brought it back to the dealership, and they said the clutch pedal bushings and spring needed to be replaced at a cost of about $300 CAN) I argued about it being done before and they agreed to pay for half.

Three days after I had the work done - I again heard a noise while depressing the clutch, I immediately brought it to the dealership where a mechanic looked at it (in my presence) and diagnosed it as a poorly lubbed clutch fork -nothing to do with the bushing/spring replacement. I did grill him about why the clutch bushing had gone twice in one year - and he explained to me the situation. The pedal bushings that come from the factory are small u-shaped, dime sized plastic pieces that sit on either end of the clutch return spring (inside the cabin). The replacement-part bushings, are the same size and shape as the factory ones but are made of teflon. Teflon is very brittle, the mechanic actually showed me one of each in his had, he snapped the teflon one with his fingers but could not do so as easily with the plastic factory one. He said he has seen various

4runners and Tacoma's have these replaced 3 times in the first 100K km. Basically he said it is a very poor design, and that even letting the peddle out too fast can crack these bushings, which will create wear and noise....and eventually need replacement.

I find it amazing that they can make motors that can go 700,000km but can't manufacture a quality pedal assembly. Baby that clutch!!

Reply to
crowt

So how much did it actually cost to have the clutch fork -lubbed? And is it possible that that was the problem to begin with?

Reply to
Guicho
11-19-04 1527 EST

Have you checked out these articles?

I have several of the bushings, but have not replaced yet. Maybe I wil go the other type of spring way when I take it apart?

Good luck. Ed

Reply to
Ed Herman
11-19-04 1533 EST