Transmission Problems Coming

I have a 94 Toy 4x4 PU. 6 cyl with 5 speed and 106K mi on it. Never been wrecked and no rust (except on the low seam of the tail gate). New front brakes, new tires, new shocks, always serviced on time, etc.

I started having problems getting into 3rd cleanly unless I shifted slowly, making sure to go right before putting any forward pressure on the shifter. Then a couple days ago I could not shift into 4th.... The tranny made a major grinding sound. When pushed into 4th again, it would drop in but when in the gear there is a definite gear noise not heard in the other gears. Things are stable right now and shifting into 4th has not been a problem other than the gear noise. The truck will pop out of third from time to time if hitting a bump the same time I lift foot off the gas.

A friend and also the Toy Service Dept said there is no shift linkage to adjust. The clutch appears fine... no pedal play or slipping. Toy dealer told me it would cost big bucks to replace the tranny with a new unit. They don't rebuild transmissions anymore and if they did it would also be very costly. They suggest finding a low mileage used box.

I really don't want to spend $25k on a new truck or buy someone else's problem with a used one. Any thoughts on needing to replace the tranny. I know the truck's only worth $4500 or so but she's been an all-star since I drove her off the lot, new.

Thanks

Reply to
J. S. Ringle

I had a very similar problem on a 92 so I don't know if your tranny is different since it is newer. My issue was 9.00 worth of brass bushings that had worn out. You had to take the top cover off of the shifter and replace these bushings. Once I did that all was back to normal.

Reply to
Are you Nuts

There probably also is a green nylon washer at end of shifter - check to see if its broken. Try draing the trans and refilling with synthetic gear fluid (I used valvoline). You can fill thru the shifter too.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Reply to
scott and barb