Truck Bed Replacement: Any ideas?

How hard/substantial a job is replacement of a truck bed on a pickup truck? Is that just a well isolated part that can be replaced easily? I have a toyota 4x4 pickup from 90's I like to replace the bed for (it was buckled in a rear-ending incident), trying to figure if it is worth it or not.

Thanks in advance, Ben

Reply to
curious314159

Hi Ben, I did a complete bed replacement on a older, (80's) ford f-250. It was a great project, one I wouldn't mind doing again. In my case the truck was previously owned by a clammer here on long island, so the bed was rusted through from salt water, but the cab was mint and it ran great. I stripped the old bed off little by little, I used a grinder to cut it up where it wasn't rusted through, it came off easier than I hopped for. I then treated the frame with a rust converter ( a product called extend) Then started to build a new bed out of pressure treated wood. I laid

4x4's on the two main rails and bolted them right through the main rail frame, so now I had a flat surface to work from I also used 4x4's across and then 2x6's in line from front to rear. Then some side work, a bumper was very easy. I also took the ford lights which were verticle in the 80's and laid them down giving it a great look. The tail gate was a 2x12 pressure treated piece with HD barrel bolts, one on each side. It came out great It was one of my favorite projects. It was so good I bought the truck for $2900.00 drove it and worked it for 4 years and sold it for $3600.00 I dont know what your skill level is but I do maintenance work for 20 years and am very familiar with power tools wood and metal work. If you think the truck is worth it and you have the skill level by all means go for it, take your time do everything right and when your done you will have a "one of a kind", a head turner.Any questions e-mail me. good luck,

frank snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
franknlizob

If you can find a complete rear bed (sides, floor, tailgate) in a junk yard in good condition, it is an easy sway. A few bolts (6?) and an electrical conenctor and you can pull the old bed off and set the new bed on.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White