Tundra carrying & towing ability

I love my Tacoma DC 4x4 ... so I'm now in need of a larger utility vehicle.

I'd first thought of the Tundra standard cab. I'll need to carry plywood, sheeting and studs.

I'll also want to tow a 10' utility trailer.

Some reviews mention that while the Tundra is 'rated' as a 7/8th "full size" it has some problems with towing, especially while loaded.

The 'standard' cab only comes with the 6 cyl. (go to the other models and the bed is shorter!) in stick or auto. Both appear to 'rate' the same HP and load (30# less for the auto) as well as towing.

What's the 'real world' experience with yours?

TIA

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

Tom T

My experience is with the V8. The V8 Tundra is rated at something like

11,800# gross combined weight of loaded truck and loaded trailer, and 6080# GVWR for just the loaded truck. My V8 4wd weighs 5020# with just me, the dog, and my Roll-n-Lock bed cover. Forget the so-called Tow Rating, published curb weight, and published payload, and go by the GCWR, GVWR, and actual weight of the truck.

The Tundra is what it is. If you need to carry a bed full of building materials, you really need a 3/4-ton truck.

Never tow in overdrive nor use overdrive when heavily laden. The overdrive section is the weak point in the transmission...OK for everyday driving, not OK for heavy work. The 4.7 V8 is a fine engine, but likes to rev...let it run and you'll get anywhere you need to go.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Thanks, Perhaps I read the specs wrong ... do you have an 8' bed in the Access Cab?

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:14:30 -0800, " Tom T" found these unused words floating about:

Reply to
J. A. Mc.