Tundra O2 sensor question

I just had an O2 sensor die in my 8 cyl 2001 Tundra. The vehicle has

65 k miles on it. Initially the dealer stated that it was covered till 90 k miles. I took the truck in to have it fixed and they stated it wasn't covered for my year/model afterall. I checked the TSB's and have looked for other recalls and found nothing. Has anyone had a different experience regarding the sensors and getting them replaced? I'm thinking I might do it myself, they quoted 300.00 to replace it; the part is 150.00.
Reply to
Mr H. Sing

You can get one at autozone for 50-60 bucks made by Bosh and they work great. I have a 2000 Tundra V-8 and I replace two through Toyota before replacing them myself. Autozone will even hook up to your computer in the truck and tell you which one is bad.

Reply to
Screaming Honda

I had three of them replaced within a week on my 2000 Tundra when it had around 50,000 miles. The dealer replaced them for free and quoted a TSB.. The service manager said the warranty on the 02 sensors were extended to 90,000 miles. Call your dealer and talk to the service manager. If you don't get any satisfaction, call another dealer and ask them. While I was waiting for my Tundra, I talked to three other people waiting to have their 02 sensors replaced for free even though their Tundra's were out of the warranty period. I've also talked to a few more who took them to different dealers for the same reason - same results.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

I thought emissions related parts were covered for 6 years or 80k miles (in US).

Reply to
Wolfgang

Nope. There are Federal minumums and certain states require longer coverage.

Most parts are 2/24 with 8/80 for the engine control module and catalytic converters.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Well, it turned out to be something else. It was an evaporative pressure sensor failure that caused the check engine warning. They quoted 370.00 to replace it. It's part of the evaporative emission control system. Thanks for all the replies.

Reply to
Mr H. Sing

So did I, raised 7 kinds of Hell and they never would pay for the first one but they did pay half of the second one and I replaced the third myself.

I would have replaced the second one myself but the guy I knew at the dealer said they were paying for the part - little did I know the labor cost more than the part.

Reply to
Screaming Honda

I am looking at my "Warranty Enhancement Notice" right now. The notice states that the warranty is extended for Number 1, Bank 1 and Bank 2 oxygen sensors for 2000 through mid 20002 models for a total of 7 years or 90000 miles from the vehicle's in-service date.

Reply to
Tony

No kidding, any chance I can get a copy of that notice? The service writer used the VIN to verify eligibility but if your notice states those year ranges then my truck does fit in that range. I can supply a fax # or a good email address.

Thanks

Reply to
Mr H. Sing