Tundra TRD Package...

I like how the TRD rides better on the highway (by a long shot) that with out.. but what the heck does "off-road tuned suspension" mean... most of the salesmen don't even know - ????

If it is nothing much, why not just by the Bilsteins after you get the truck and put them on???

thanks!

and yes, on the highway (conrete particularly), empty, a world of difference in the TRD package - not nearly as jumpy...

really...

PL

Reply to
Freewheelin'

Interesintg fact is that the aftermarket Bilsteins have a lifetime warrantee -- the OEM TRD ones only the 3 year new car warrantee.

Reply to
Wolfgang

OK... I was just told by Toyota Tech support (800-3311-4331x33) that something called "progressive springs" are on the TRD package and these do vary from the non TRD...

Any comments????

Reply to
Freewheelin'

CC, exactly which shocks did you get - the TRD Bilstein... Where did you notice the most improvement - pavement, highway, or ???

Thankeee!

Reply to
Freewheelin'

Yeah, they're progressive rate, which means as the spring is compressed more, the spring gets stiffer, thus reducing chance of bottoming out. I recently just put on the Fabteck performance coilovers on my Tacoma and oh my gosh, they are awesome. If you want an offroad ride improvement, that is definitely money well spent. Remember, liftin' is for rock crawlin', suspension is for baja'in.

-2002 Prerunner Ext. Cab V6 Auto SR5 TRD

Reply to
John Doe

It also includes higher rate springs. Of course, and the options that are included with TRD like painted flares, foglights, keyless entry, etc....

That's why TRD is a big-buck option for the SR5 and only a couple hundred for the Limited... all of the TRD package except for shocks and springs (and stickers) is already on the Limited.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

I have been somewhat disappointed in the "off-road" package on my 03 Tundra. Where I live, off-road means mud and the name of the game is ground clearance. I am dissapointed to find that I can't get tires that will fit on most full-size trucks (285/75's). The front end actually appears to me to be lower than on the trucks without the off-road package. Although it does ride very well on the road, I don't see much benefit to the off-road package as far as helping in off-road situations. Does anyone know of a way to increase the lift on the front suspension without voiding the warranty?

Todd

Reply to
William Todd Meyer

Just drove an '04 D-Cab TRD and definitely better on the concrete sections of the interstate (still a little jumpy but not like the non-TRD) and on the blacktop: totally smooooth...

Reply to
Freewheelin'

The offroad package is a big help for dirt roads, especially if there is any washboarding. The non-TRD with it's Lincoln suspension would be constantly hitting the stops, while the TRD rides pretty well. Of course, with washboarding, you'll hit a certain speed where the frequency will match the suspension and it'll bottom out.

As far as the lift, any kind of lift will void the warranty for the front suspension, so you have a couple of options... Go for a full replacement like Fabtech or Tough Country and have their warranty cover it, or go for a more basic like the Cornfed or Daystar, buy a spring compressor, and if you have a problem, remove the lift before taking the truck in for work (not that you would have to).

As far as which kind of lift, I prefer the spacers that go between the frame/shock mount and the top plate of the strut assembly, as this keeps the shock/spring length geometry, thus, suspension travel, the same. Putting a spacer between the spring and the top plate reduces your suspension travel by the size of the spacer because it pushes the shock closer to the end of it's travel.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer