Very strange symptom? Tundra V-8

My 2000 Tundra V8 has been great, but I have a perplexing question. Twice since I've owned it, it has belched quite a bit of smoke when I started it. Once was after sitting in the driveway for a couple of days. The other was only after sitting overnight. The rest of the time, it's totally smoke free. I have

110,000 miles and it burns very little oil.

What can cause this strange behavior? Any Ideas?

Barry

Reply to
F330 GT

Well, that depends on the color of smoke. Blue/grey = oil. white = coolant. The symptom you describe my be an early case of valve stem leakage. As the engine sits, oil collects ontop of the seals and slowly starts to trickle down the valve and into the cylinders, where it is promptly burned off at once when the engine is started. Coolant leakage would indicate more serious engine problems. Maybe start with an oil consumption test and go from there?

Reply to
qslim

My 2000 Tundra V8 has been great, but I have a perplexing question. Twice since I've owned it, it has belched quite a bit of smoke when I started it. Once was after sitting in the driveway for a couple of days. The other was only after sitting overnight. The rest of the time, it's totally smoke free. I have

110,000 miles and it burns very little oil.

I think the smoke is either oil or excess gas that has sat for a while. Question is where it came from. The engine burns very little oil and has done this twice in 8 months. Approximately 30,000 miles in between, so I don't think your valve stem leakage theory holds up. That would be logical if it happened all the time, or quite often. Can it be possilbe that an injector sticks open and allows the fuel pressure to bleed into the cylinders?

Reply to
F330 GT

The amount of fuel could leak through the fuel injector is a fixed amount regardless of if it park for 3 hrs or 3 months. Once the pressure drops down to ambient pressure, the siphoning action will stop the leak. So it does not make sense to me that this only happen after a long park.

Reply to
DTT

Gas smoke is black. You've got oil leaking into your combustion chambers.

Reply to
Bob H

I too have a 2000 Tundra and I was gone for two weeks on vacation recently - I witnessed the same thing that you did when I fired it up for the first time. Don't have any ideas myself either but mine burns no oil and never has previously smoked.

Reply to
VTX1800C

Oil draining down the valve guides.

Reply to
MBOSCHERT

Can you explain why it only happens every 40,000 miles? Or, why it only happened once on his truck?

The valve guides is the logical and simple answer. To have it happen once and then not again or 5 months later suggests there is a better answer. Valve guides are either good or bad, not intermittent.

Barry

Reply to
F330 GT

WOW. I have an 85 Corolla GTS. This didn't start happening until 245,000 miles!

Reply to
HachiRoku