What does the "diff lock button" do?

If I had to guess it locks the rear end gears and keeps them from slipping? Or does is lock something up front? If it does lock the rear. Will it work in 2wheel drive also?

I don't have a manual. I have one coming but looks like it will be awhile. I have a 2003 V6 SR5 4x4 extended/cab.

Reply to
Brian

Depending on who put it in there. Id imagine that it would lock one of the diffs stopping slip against its oppisite partner for max traction.

Reply to
Scotty

Diff lock spreads the load to the wheels to prevent wheel spin at one wheel by locking the differentials on the vehicle because even on a 4x4 it will spin one wheel and the other 3 will be stationary it is only to be used in mud or slush and not on the tarmac.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

There should be an indicator in the dash when it's actually engaged. It should only allow itself to engage in low range 4x4, under 10 MPH. It's a tool to get you un-stuck, and should never be used for driving at any speed. A locked rear diff will cause the truck to behave very differently, not really safe in inexperienced hands. So, if you get stuck, hit that button and drive right out.

Reply to
Dan G

It's also proper to use it for climbing up steep, rocky, pebbly or sandy inclines, such as getting out of a wash. Then DISENGAGE while turning.

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:48:07 -0700, "Dan G" found these unused words floating about:

Reply to
J. A. Mc.