How do you locare and install the heater fan resistor

can anyone tell me where the heater blower fam resitor is located and how to install it in a 1989 toyota 4X4. My fan only runs at top speed and I think this is the reason. It;s a 1989 4X4. It belonged to my dad and he did some funny things with wiring etc over the years. The map for all this was in his head and unfortunately it passed with him so I don't know if he unplugged or totally removed the resistor.

thanks for any help

Reply to
readit
1-29-051023 EST Look in front of the passenger footwell. Like above where your feet would be if you were sitting there. It will be a squareish thing with 3 or 4 wires connected in the plenum. Handle it carefully if you take it out. It reminds me of a toaster wire. If you go to the dealer to get a replacement, be sure you give them your vin so they can get the proper one. Good luck. Ed
Reply to
ed_herman

My Toyota original 1985 4runner manual doesn't show the location, but it shows a blower relay located behind the glove-box area under the dash-board. Logically speaking, it has to be between the blower switch and the blower motor. I know the resistor for the rear blower is in the console with the switch, which has two speed positions. Some north american vehicles placed the resistor in the air-flow of the blower to cool it, others placed it on the firewall in the engine compartment. My guess is that it is under the dash-board. It has a connector according to the manual, so it is not hard wired. I replaced the brushes in the blower motor about 3 years ago, my vehicle is a 22RE with 374,598 km on it. You may just have worn brushes. The brushes are easily replaceable, the motor was made to have them replaced, but Toyota does not sell replacement brushes. I took the brushes to a motor shop, bought some similiar types that were slightly larger and cut them down on the sides with sand-paper to fit the holders. Two brushes, with an embedded multi-strand current wire coming from the side, not the end. The holder has a slot for the current wire to slide down as the brushes wear. An '89 would likely have worn brushes since the blower-motor runs all the time the engine is on, unless you deliberately turn it off with the switch. The motor is easy to remove, connector plug and a couple screws, then take it apart for access to the brushes. Mark the motor bearing end-caps and the motor body to ensure it goes back together the way it was... and soak the bearings in oil while its apart.

"readit" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
Guylaine J. Parisien