what is this thing

I know I'm probably not describing this as well as I need to but let me try. I was looking at my '91 4Runner and noticed some dirty sludge/grease on a metal part that's like 2 halves bolted together near the driver's side near the front of the engine about the same elevation as the front bumper. I believe it has a shaft running to it and on the shaft there was a cylindrical shape as part of the shaft. Also this metal part I think had a hose connected to it (forget exactly where for the moment). This part seemed to be under some triangular plastic box shape whose top was almost flush with the radiator.

Any idea what this metal part(s) is and do I need to fix it if it has dirty sludge/grease around it? Truck seems to drive fine. I couldn't see any leakage but I won't swear to that. Any idea what the dealer might charge to do this repair if necessary?

Reply to
frankg

rocky

You're talking about your steering box. I have a '91 4Runner with the same problem. It is a very expensive part to replace (over $500 for the part alone, not to mention labor). You're seeing power steering fluid (which for this vehicle is Automatic Transmission Fluid) leaking through the old seals. My advise (as received from my trusty Toyota mechanic) is to keep an eye on the power steering fluid level (check your owner's manual on how to do this - you don't want to overfill!!!). As long a fluid loss is within reason, learn to live with it. No biggie.

Reply to
Finnbow

Reply to
Harrison

Steering box?

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Not too tough to seal this, there is a seal kit, BUT if its the steerign shaft seal leaking, forget it! I've done one and wont do it ever again. All other seals are easy to replace.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

I'm beginning to think so. I need to take another look at this thing and compare to a link another poster supplied from ebay in this thread. I guess it's not too serious yet as long as I don't see a lot of seepage and watch my fluids? I also guess this is maybe a $750 repair cost if I have dealer do it?? Do you think a reputable outside shop can do this or is this best for toyota to deal with?

Also thanks to EVERYONE for the input so far.

Reply to
frankg

Just in case to those still helping here, yes I have a V6 auto transmission (91 4Runner).

I'm beginning to think its my steering box based on the replies here but I need to look at it again and compare to one poster's ebay link for a steering box for sale.

Thanks ALL for your input here. Really appreciate the help/advice.

Reply to
frankg

Sounds like the steering box. I've alos got a '91 and had mine start puking PS fluid all over the place. I gave a little thought to resealing it myself, but then looked at the job that would entail. In the end, I bought a refurb unit and hauled it to my dealer for replacement. It ran me about $750 for the whole thing including a front wheel alignment.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Bingo!

Reply to