Wheel Upgrade

I have a 2004 Tundra with stock 16" wheels. I've got an offer from a friend of mine to buy the 17" wheels off of his Sequoia (wheels without tires). Is there anything special I need to consider? I'm guessing that these tires may be taller and will throw off the speedometer/odometer.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Well the wheels are larger but depending on what size tires you buy the final diameter could be same or very close and therefore no speedo inaccuracy. Try

to figure tire size you would need.

Reply to
Wolfgang

That isn't necessarily true.

Lets say for the sake of saying anything that you had 265/75x16. The 17" equivelent size of 265/70x17 is identical in outside diameter for all practical purposes. The difference is less than 0.04 inches in diameter.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Most spedo's are inacurate from the factory anyways. I think as long as your difference if any is less than 1" diameter your fine. There are calculators on the net that will tell you how much your spedo will be out with different size tires.

Reply to
davelib

Why not just get the 17 inch wheels, the tire size of your choice, and take your truck into the shop for a speedometer recalibration? It probably won't cost but 50 bucks.

Reply to
desert_taco

If he plans a LITTLE BIT, he can get the 17s and the right tire size and not spend the to bucks. That is the question.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland