Where is the Fuel Filter located

1989 Toyota 2.4L EFI 4x4

Will someone please tell me where the fuel filter is located? I looked on the passenger side under the truck and followed the fuel line out of the fuel tank.. I don't see it.

Thanks!

Reply to
collector1974

There's a "sock" pre-filter on the pickup inside the tank (that you have to drop the tank to change) and there is a pressurized filter on the fuel line to the engine - usually tucked next to or inside the frame rail close to the engine. It's a big metal can.

And unless you've been literally pouring mud into the filler neck (as in filling up from drums and cans and other contaminated fuel sources in the Jungle, Desert or Australian Outback) both of the filters shouldn't need changing for at least 250,000 miles - they have a lot of dirt capacity. Do the fuel pressure and fuel flow tests first, it may be a failing fuel pump.

Be very careful with the fuel line flare nuts if you still insist on changing the filter. They were installed by gorillas at the factory and the nuts strip out really easy. You must use the proper flare wrenches, and a backup wrench on the opposing fitting - and it's still really easy to twist and kink the steel line.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Its just above and slightly forward of the starter on the engine block. A real bear to change!

Reply to
Wolfgang

I was stumped also, my 874r has it in the frame.

Reply to
ww

yeah, it's a pain to change out the filter. I did it when I changed my headgasket... even then it was hard to get off since it was pretty tight for my big tools. My old fuel filter was fine, just that I bought one a while ago, and might as well put a new one on with all the parts taken apart.

Reply to
yippie