Wierd rattle sound & mileage question

I have a 94 4Runner v6 that has an interesting sound coming from around the glove box area. It started yesterday while the A/C was on. When the A/C is off, no sound. When on, I hear the rattle repeat every 5 or so seconds and the engine rpm drops. I know the A/C causes the engine to drop rpm a tad, so Im wondering if its some A/C related switch or valve going bad. Maybe Im way off. Any ideas?

Also, just for kicks, this is the 3VZ-E engine, and I know they've had head gasket problems. I have about 150k on the engine now, and the head gasket was replaced under the prior owner, and timing belt at 115k. Im curious to know how many miles other folks with this engine have pulled. I have been told to expect 200k+ before major work. Im pretty anal about my maintenance. Any good news for a broke college student? :)

NickT

Reply to
NickT

Run it w/just the fan, no A/C, if it makes the noise it could be your fan, or you may have gotten some debris, i.e. leaves, in through your fresh air intake and this could be causing the noise. On my 93 I had a crazy vibrating noise and I opened up the fan cover, or the evaporator cover or something (it's all behind the glove box) and I had several "helicopter seeds" stuck in there. I removed them and the noise went away. Slik

Reply to
slikrikd

The engine RPM should go up with the AC on. Not sure on the rattle.

I had a valve job done at 240k. One cylinder was not firing on one, and very low compression on one other. Still started and ran fine, but 5th was for the flats or downhill only. A valve job got my compression back up. It's at

291k now and still going strong. Well, as strong as the 3VZ-E engine goes. It never was a powerhouse.

If you drive off road with a lot of dust, oil your air filter. I started doing that 50k ago and it's the best thing I have done.

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie
1992 Toyota P/U V-6 with 206,000... No major work as of yet, although I am starting to get some valve noise. I am averaging around 24 mpg hi/cty.

Tony