1957 Oval rustbucket - worth saving ?

I'm looking for advice and/or recommendations...

I have a 1957 Beetle (oval back window) rusting away in the yard. I believe that the floor pan, or what's left of it, might actually be a 1954 (based on the serial number under where the back seat would be if there were a back seat). It has an expired registration as a 1957 and that matches the ID plate that is with the papers in the basement. It appears that the body and floor pan are an ancient mix-and-match. The 'original' engine is long gone - presently has a dual-carb hotted-up Type 3 motor (did a small wheelie once during a 'test drive'). There is almost no floor left and the doors droop when opened. The rear fenders are MIA and the front left quarter panel was inexpertly replaced. It is mostly stripped out (20+ years ago) and many of the smaller parts are in 'decent' condition in the basement.

What sort of ballpark price to take an old rusted-out body and make it into a good rolling stock (just the body and suspension repairs or replacements - to the point where I could take over to complete the overall rebuild) ? Not as a restoration, just a nice car.

I assume that the car is essentially worthless and could be cut up and put in the recycle bin. Are my assumptions about the general worthlessness correct?

The parts might be 'ebay'-ed one by one.

Oh - it is near Halifax, NS, Canada in case that matters to anyone.

Many TIA for any advice and recommendations.

(Wow - almost 50 !! years old now...)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***

1957 Oval

check out John Henry's site..

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue