faster oil priming

After installing a more radical cam and changing out the timing gear for a set of 36 hp gear, I am getting ready to seal the case. Right now, I am thinking about how to make the oil system prime faster. Before, I took off one of the full flow hoses and squirted oil into the pump, but the oil pressure light still took a while to go off. Would packing the oil pump full of some bearing grease be advisable? The grease would not clog up anything (full flow setup with Fram filter) I hope. I read somewhere on the 'net the Tom Wilson's book advocated using Vaseline... but I wonder if there was a better quick priming method/material to use.

Geoffe '74 Super Beetle

Reply to
geoffers

A wee bit of 80W90 in the pump. Leave the filter off, crank it with the plugs out and the rockers shafts off. Should only take 8-10 seconds. Spin on the filter (prefilled if its vertical), and crank until oil pressure light goes out, maybe 15 seconds, then keep cranking for another 30 seconds. While your doing these steps, the 12V to the coil is disconnected and I like to pump gas into a clear container. Maybe toss on a fuel pressure gauge, and use the final cranking sequence to fill the carb.

Install the rockers, set the valves, install the plugs, connect up the coil, and fire it up. Carry on with the break-in.

RT

Reply to
Raymond Lowe