1968 dual inlet oil bath air cleaner

Hey guys. I just picked up a 1967-8 dual inlet oil bath air cleaner at a swap meet. It doesn't have a thermostat to open/close the hot air intake.

Anyone know where I can get the thermostat or does it work off of something that's already on the car?

Thanks,

Reply to
Paul Haney

Hey guys. I just picked up a 1967-8 dual inlet oil bath air cleaner at a swap meet. It doesn't have a thermostat to open/close the hot air intake.

Anyone know where I can get the thermostat or does it work off of something that's already on the car?

And what's the counter-weighted thing on the extra inlet for?

It's like this:

Thanks,

Reply to
Paul Haney

It's covered quite nicely in the Fuel section of your Bentley Official Manual.

'67 had no 'stat. The flap opens to admit cooler air as the RPM goes up. '68 thru '70 had a cable from the engine 'stat linkage.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I may be mistaken, but some models were connected to the fan shroud flaps with a stiff wire. There was an arm coming through the shroud on the right side, an extension of one flap shaft. You'd run the cable end from there to a lever on the aircleaner.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I have the 70- Bentley book but it doesn't detail this linkage (or I missed it). Haven't got the 68 Bentley book yet. I searched the web and Usenet and didn't find much.

If my cable is missing what could I use to replace it? Where to find?

Much Thanks,

Reply to
Paul Haney

You're right; the later book doesn't have a pic but does mention it. The linkage is part of the fan shroud; should be a "crank arm" sticking out the "rear" side. A "Bowden" cable connects that to air cleaner.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim