1970 Iginition Switch Help needed

I have a 1970 Beetle Convetible. On occasion, when I turn the key to "start" it doesn't engage the starter. If I try it again, it usually works. Any insight? I assume that I need a new starter switch. As I look in my Bentley, I don't see enough information to know what I'm up against.

Any insight? Help? Problems to watch out for? Tips and tricks?

Thanks in advance.

Al

1970 Beetle Convertible Spokane, WA
Reply to
Al

It's a common problem. And replacement switches are shit.

Replacement is *not* fun either. We had a recent thread about this on another forum:

added a neat sketch which may help you. Speedy Jim
"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
Flea

for replacing it

pull steering wheel ... remove turn signal assy ... unhook wires ... then yank the crap out of the assembly ... then remove the lock/switch assy from the housing once it is free from the steering shaft .. (note, my way may cause bodily injury and aint likely the right way .. but hey it works)

Reply to
Flea

HaHa!

No, your way is quite accurate.

And, yeah, on his '70 the wires come with the switch.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

wasnt for sure, went to replace the one in my mom's 74 ... and kept pulling and tugging ... and it wouldnt budge .. so i got some leverage ... with my feet and yanked ...

forgot the front seat was just sitting in there ... ended up in the back seat of the car with most of the colum in my hand .. and a puzzled look on my face ...

Reply to
Flea