98 4Runner starter replacement help needed

Don't have the manual and the ex's starter just crapped. From what I can see, only two bolts and the wire, if I can get to it. Looks like they built the car around the starter. Any tricks or tips, or should I/we just take it in?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
KaiS.

You can purchase on-line access to factory service manuals at

I believe that the fee is $10 per day. Before you go and change the starter, you may wish to check the contacts on the starter relay.

Reply to
Ray O

I thought the starter on my 97 Camry was bad and it ended up being the battery. Best bet would be to take it to Advance Auto or such and and have them do a free electrical system diagnosis.

Reply to
badgolferman

You sure it's the starter itself?, not the relay?

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I had a 1990 4Runner and the starter was replaced 2 times when I owned it. I hated it because of no warnings when it crapped out. I finally dumped the 4Runner. Glad I did before the gas went up a dollar/gallon and replaced it with a new corolla.

Reply to
rob