Weird problem with ignition switch setup

Hey,

After one of my kids screwed around in my 74 bug, I could no longer turn the ignition key to the start position and the steering wheel locks when the the key is released. (Tough to steer that sucker)

I have pulled out the ignition switch housing and replaced the ignition lock and the electrical switch and the problem still exists.

Closely looking at the ignition switch housing I can see nothing visually wrong with the assembly all the pieces and parts seem to be there and even though I usually figure out how something works by looking at it long enough this thing has me stumped. (The key turns about 90 degrees but it needs to turn slightly more than that to engage the starter switch - the actual lock has plenty of rotational travel to engage the starter)

Logic says the problem is mechically in the housing because everything else has been replaced but, what is wrong, can it be fixed, and if not, where can I buy a new housing? (I see none in catalogs)

Thnks in advance,

Bill

Reply to
WBalla

I agree; sounds like the housing. Does yours look like this:

If so, that's the more common early style which is available, but they're pricey. E-mail me and I may be able to find one for you.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Yes,

Thats the one