1971 Super Beetle Convertable

First I am not a car person. I am a Carpenter so this is a little new to me. I pull the Beetle out of a makeshift garage. It has been sitting for about seven years. I changed the plugs, wires, ignition coil, distributer cap, drained what little gas was in the tank out, and stared her up. Now she runs but she is coughing and back firing. I drove through one tank of gas thinking it might clear itself up. That didn't happen. I changed the, carburetor, the fuel filter, and the fuel pump, I think I have taken care of a lot of the problems, but it is still back fires and coughs really badly. Other things that happen are she has no power and loses speed when you hit any hill, drastically. When trying to take off in first I have to give it a lot of gas to get moving or it will sputter and stall. Any hints would be appreciated greatly!!! Thanks Swanee

Reply to
Swanee

Did you change the points? Is it timed correctly? Is that the original

71 engine and how did you time it? Are you sure the plug wires are in the right order?
Reply to
Michael Cecil

Here are some good help pages:

If you're new to cars and especially bugs, you may want to look into getting the
on regular maintenance. It shows you how it is done.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Make sure the manifold boots are not cracked and letting air into the fuel air mixture!(see picture below) Make sure the manifolds themselves are not loose.

at what the red arrow points to!

Reply to
Funkie

FUNKY COLD!!! good to see ya still here......hang around...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Thanks, I still support and maintain "ramva.org".

I sold my beetle a year ago and recently bought a Porsche 924 that I am now working on. After having checked out the other car groups I can definitely say this is the most knowledgeable group.

Reply to
Funkie

And that is a good thing! I have had reliable web space for quite sometime now!!! Thank you oh soooooooooo much!!!!

dw

Reply to
dragenwagen

I wanted to thank you all for your help. I have decided that it is most likely a timing issue. Whomever replaced the engine last did not notch the pulley, I have found a great Bug Doctor in my area and he is now taking a look at it. Thanks Again Swanee

Reply to
Swanee