1976 VW Type 2 Bus repairs

I have a bus that I am having trouble shifting the manual transmission. I would like some information on possible solutions to my shifting problems. It is like the clutch is not engaging properly and I do not know how to adjust it, or if it is something else that needs worked on. I am also experiencing stalling both while idle and while driving. Is this a timing issue and how would I adjust it if it is the timing? I love my bus and cannot take it to a repair shop as that is too costly so any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mary

Reply to
m_inbody

Here is a very easy test:

Engine idling. Clutch all the way to floor. Very, very slowly, try to engage Reverse gear.

Does it grind going in? If so, the clutch needs adjustment.

The clutch is adjusted so that there is roughly 3/4" of free play at the pedal top. Check that by pressing on the pedal with your hand. The play gives a very definite feel.

The adjustment is located way back at the transmision. At this point you really, really need a shop manual.

Post back what you find out so we can go from there.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I tried that and the transmission does no grinding going into any gears. I do notice that as I am getting ready to let the clutch out, or while setting still it wants to pop out of gear all by itself unless I hold it in place till I get moving.

Reply to
m_inbody

Well, that lets the clutch off the hook.

"pop out of gear all by itself..."

That may be *very* bad. There are possible causes outside the gearbox, such as worn shift bushings and couplers and/or adjustments which need to be investigated.

Until your new manual arrives, bookmark this site:

Click on "Library" Click on "S" for "Shifter"

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

sounds like time for another tranny.

Reply to