3x3 IRS Trailing Arms

I'm considering a swingaxle -> IRS conversion, and I'm looking at trailing arms and needed a quick clarification or two.

First of all, I under stand the numbers are width x depth, so 3x3 is 3 inches wider than stock, and 3 inches longer than stock. However, I don't know if the width is per-tire or overall. I.e. if installing a set of these arms on a buggy, are the tires going to be 3" further apart than stock or 6" further apart than stock?

Second, can anyone give me a good idea of that the additional travel I would gain from these 3x3 arms would be? From what I've dug up on the web, it sounds like most stock suspension has 6" or so of travel, while 3x3 arms can yield 14-16" of travel. Does that sound right?

Finally, has anyone in here done a swingaxle -> IRS conversion? Any tips/advice? It sounds like the hardest part is going to be mounting the brackets up to the torsion housing and the associated cutting/ welding into the engine mount horns. It sounds like this is going to be a bit of work, and quite a bit of expense (I'm estimating $1200 for arms, kit, bearings, stub axles, 930 CVs, axles, etc, before I even start talking about a transaxle or new shocks).

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott

I,m sure there was an entire article in "VW Trends" a few years back. Covered the entire procedure. where to cut, what to cut etc etc John

Reply to
John