Need pros & cons on quick steer arms

Thinking about changing to the quick steer arms on a 62 Lark with manual steering. Has anyone done this? What were the results? Any problems? Any downside? Any pluses? Ron

Reply to
Ron Butts

midlant

I have no experience with them, but I can tell you this - they will magnify any play in the whole steering mechanism, so make sure that your steering is reasonably tight before you try them. I remember driving my dad's IH Scout which had the undesirable combination of quick power steering, a small diameter steering wheel, and lots of play in the steering mechanism and it took a while to get used to it before driving it anywhere at high speeds (well, high for a Scout anyway)

nate

Reply to
N8N

Nate I rebuilt the entire front suspension under this Lark. The steering box is like a brand new one, no play. I would like to know from someone who has done this change whether they regretted it because perhaps it became squirley (sp) or it was the best thing going. Ron

Reply to
Ron Butts

Note: quick steering arms are supposed to be used ONLY with power steering, not manual!!

The quick steering arms are on my R2 now. I won't know how they react until I get the car back on the road but I've kept the old steering arms in case I don't like the effect.

Brooksie

Reply to
Brooksie

In my opinion the only reason that the disclamer about "recommeded for power steering only" is because the application is for 51 to 66. On the earlier cars using the quick steer arms with the Ross box would take a lot of effort to turn the wheel a rest or very slow speed. The Ross box used a shorter pitman arm versus the longer arm on the Saginaw box. The longer arm will give you easier steering at rest or slow speed. Once rolling, the effort should be no greater than the stock steering arms.

Reply to
Ron Butts

Paul This 62 with manual steering has 5 turns lock to lock. There is a possibility that the quick steer arms will cut it down to about 3 turns lock to lock. I am going to order the arms tomorrow and when I get them installed and do a road test I will post the results. Ron

Reply to
Ron Butts

Back in 1988, I installed quick steering arms on my '83 Avanti. It took one turn out of the steering lock to lock. I ended up with just over 3 1/2 turns. With the power assist, I didn't notice much difference in the effort. I'm sure with manual steering the increased effort would be evident.

Jack

Reply to
jack767

My 64 Convertible had manual steering when I purchased it. Dave Tibault sugested a 6 Cyl Gear Box as an alternative to Power steering. I however, went the Power Steering with quicker Steering Arms. It is much easier to make the turn at the top of my driveway, 1 pas verses 3 passes.

Geno

64 R2 Avanti

64 Daytoina Convertible.

Reply to