6 volt vs 8 volt battery

I have a stock 1966 bug with a 6 volt system and a 1300cc engine. I current have a 6 volt battery which right now needs replacing and in the course of looking for one (that will fit under the seat), several people have told me to use an 8 volt battery instead of the volt. Granted it would give me more cranking power on cold winter mornings, but wouldn't the additional voltage fry the 6 volt system I have now? Am I being told tall tales or is there truth in what they're saying?

Reply to
Brother Pat

By the time the 8V actually gets to important items, it will be closer to 6V anyway.

If you can actually source an 8V battery, you will need to have the Gen regulator re-calibrated.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Re-cabibrate the air gap on the regulator?

Reply to
Brother Pat

................Yeah. It was a common practice back during the fifties to use 8 volts, especially in cold climates. There was a widely understood method back then to adjust the contacts in a 6 volt regulator. Unfortunately, nobody knows it anymore except for the few oldtimers that are still around. To calibrate the regulator as Speedy Jim is suggesting though could still be done with a multi-meter. Not on a bench neccessarily, but instead in the bug while the engine is running with the 8 volt battery installed. My dad used to refuse to do this conversion on 6 volt cars for his friends and customers back during the sixties when I was a teenager because he felt that it was a waste of time in a warm climate (I grew up in central Florida). His theory was that if you needed 8 volts in warm weather, you were only masking the underlying electrical problems like poor grounding sites that was the real problem. He'd tell them that he stopped fooling around with 8 volt batteries when he moved away from NY.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

There are a few 8 V batteries out there, generally used on things like lawn tractors, etc. They have more voltage, but are capable of less current, and I doubt the total stored energy is as large as in a good

6 V battery.

If you simply install an 8 V battery in a 6 V car it will eventually turn into a rather weak 6 V battery because it will only get charged to 6 V (actually 7 V if you really care) because that's where the voltage regulator is set. So what you get is a fairly discharged 8 V battery.

It is possible to tweak the VR to put out 8 V, but this means that all your 6 V electrics will now be getting 8 V. Some things won't mind this a bit, but any light bulbs will suddenly develop very short lifetimes and your turn signal flasher will flash really fast.

In the end, it really isn't a solution to anything. If you're having trouble starting your car, you're much better off figuring out why and fixing the actual problem.

-

Jim Adney

snip>

You are absolutly correct about the "old timers knowing" trouble is locating one. I used know how to adjust regulators because my Grandfather showed me, but like I mentioned that was 30 some odd years ago my memory has totaled failed me. Two people to "bend the "clappers" until I get the voltage output up to 9 volts. I asked them which ones, because there are two of them, they couldn't tell me. I'm not to keen on the trail and erro method but at this point I have few other options, where would I attach the multi-meter? I open to all ideas on this one.

Reply to
Brother Pat

GOOGLE: Bosch + voltage + regulator + adjustment

And here's one for Lucas:

Speedy Jim

"Jim Adney" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Don't want to butt in the conversation... but,

Isn't a heavier 6v battery just the best solution? Mine is now 77Ah but used to have, fitted from factory(!), a heavier battery (about 90/100+Ah) They are used in countries who usually have colder winters. (mine was Swedisch)

JMHO Roger

Reply to
bug '59

In a lot of cases the 8 volt battery is simply making up for the voltage drop from one or more loose or corroded connections. When I bought my '64 Bug someone had installed a "hard start" switch under the back seat. The ignition switch was fried so I replaced it. I then re-did several connection on the starter, generator, ignition switch and headlights.(all of the heavy red wires) When I got through there was no need for the evil : ) hard start relay or switch. And there wouldn't have been a need for an 8 volt battery. Some may find wiring somewhat intimidating or mysterious but good clean and tight wire connections, including ground connections, make a big difference. Battery cable connections as well.

--

'64 sunroof Beetle '55 semaphore Beetle

Reply to
Mike64Bug

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:10:37 -0400, "Brother Pat" scribbled this interesting note:

As others have mentioned, you need to fix the problems, not mask them. Yes, you can do what you are suggesting, but the underlying problem will still be there and it will come back to haunt you in the end. Why not fix it properly?

I don't speak out of turn on this. We have a couple of 1959 Beetles. In both cases I've found that new grounding straps, cleaning of electrical connections, replacing of fuses, etc., made all the problems go away. I finally bought a new battery for one of these cars. I got a 6V red top Optima battery, mounted it sideways (properly shielded, of course) and haven't regretted keeping the original 6V system. It works fine. You just need to properly maintain the vehicle.

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

You found an Optima volt?? man I used to work for the battery company that made those, but back then they only made them in 12 volt. If I had known that they also had begun making them in a 6 volt I wouldn't even be considering an 8 volt battery.

I got to tell you that since I began this adventure I found a few problems with the charging/cranking system. The VR had an adjustment work it's self loose and was 'pushed' all the way to the top of what I believe is the contacts for the field side of the VR. The battery although new since Oct of

2004 had a dead cell, and I believe the starter might have a bad solenoid. Something that was mentioned earlier was the lights. Although they will be brighter their life will probably be shortened because of the voltage increase. I'm thinking now about re-grouping and just putting a spare battery in the car for those cold mornings and hard wiring a set of jumpers to the battery under the seat. It sounds like it might be the easy way to do it.

thank you

Patrick

Reply to
Brother Pat

Yes, I used 8 volt batteries when I was young in nothern Wi and they worked well. At that time you could get heavy duty 8 volt batteries from farm and tractor stores. Not the puny little lawn types, full sized agriculture tractor batteries used by many tractors of the 50's. Check with farm and fleet centers.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 20:02:29 -0400, "Brother Pat" scribbled this interesting note:

I just went to the local VW parts house and asked. They had an Optima display and I asked my favorite parts guy (his name is Angel) if they came in six volts. He made a call. In a day or two I had my new battery!:~)

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

8 volt batteries are available for golf carts. Why not try using one of these if you have the room? They are gawd awful large and heavy. Quite tall. The regulator can be recalibrated with a good voltage meter and about 5 minutes time. Had a friend years ago with a 58 International pickup with an 8 volt system. 4 cell battery looked strange, he had the brightest lights I ever seen on an old truck.
Reply to
Ken S.