6 Volt Batteries

Where do can I buy a 6 volt battery for 1959 bug? And what kind is the best to buy?

Reply to
Simmonds

...anywhere that sells batteries should be able to order you one.

*bets* I'd consider a gel type battery suckh as an optima to eliminat the possibility of rusting out your battery tray....only problem might be the hold down, I haven't used teh 6 volt optimas so I am not positive it would function correctly with them

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

I get mine from a local tractor and supply store. I had to replace the ground strap in my 1960 Beetle, new battery post were to far away for the old one.

Guy

Reply to
Guy Smiley

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 21:57:45 -0400, Gary Tateosian scribbled this interesting note:

I am. I'm using a six volt Optima in our '59 Beetle and it is great. It is laid down on its side and I fashioned a cover for the positive terminal. In this orientation the footprint is just about the same as the standard six volt battery that space is made for. A shortened battery hold down strap is all that is required.

John Willis

Original fitment was a type 404. It's the same as used in the Ford Popular and MGB (although they had 2 in the MGB).

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Oh, forgot to mention - if you don't get a Type 404, the original battery cover won't fit on. So put a rubber mat over the top of the battery to prevent the metal seat springs from shorting out on the battery posts!