'66 Beetle turn signal switch

I?m having trouble with turn signal switches on my ?66 Beetle. I say ?switches? because I?ve gone through three of them so far. The mounting screws come loose, and I?ve wound up stripping them in my attempts to tighten the mounting screw while maintaining the 1-2mm clearance called for in the manual. There is supposed to be a brass washer between the face of the switch and the canceling ring on the steering wheel. Mine is missing, probably due the previous owner of the car taking it to some careless parts changer for service.

I probably know the answer to this question already, but I?ll ask it anyway: Would the missing washer prevent friction between the canceling ring on the steering wheel and the inner face of the turn signal switch, which in turn would prevent the switch?s mounting screw from loosening? I?ve screwed up two switches so far; this is becoming expensive, frustrating and embarrassing. Also, if any member of this newsgroup could help me locate a washer, I?d be most grateful; I?ve tried to locate one with no luck so far. Please help!

Richard Couch Iowa City, IA

Reply to
Richard Couch