'69 Ghia - Engine Time!

Hi Everyone,

I really appreciate all the great advice and helpful info I've gotten from you all thus far - just what I needed!

So this weekend I plan on dropping the engine... I've already found several websites with excellent how-to type of info - so I'm definitely armed with knowledge!

A little background... I'm a VW nut, actually my whole family is. My uncle was a VW mechanic and I recall countless summers working with him in his shop before he was diagnosed w/ MS. I'm pretty handy in the shop, I took Auto Mechanics throughout high school and with that in conjunction to what I learned from my uncle, I think I'm good to go.

As mentioned before, Dad is restoring the car and I'm going to tackle the engine. I've observed the rebuild from several wonderful VWs, including a

74 Westfalia and a 67 Beetle, fact is I haven't owned a project end to end.

So - my inquiry today is how to go about the rebuild. I wish I had an endless budget, but truth is I don't, in all honestly I'd like to keep it under $500... so my first question is that budget practical? Also, are "kits" worth it? For example, here is one I found from a preliminary search online:

With this - any kits/brands/companies to stay away from or you all would recommend?

Time is on my side so I'm not really looking for any answers today, but just wanted to start gathering some facts.

Again - thank you all for everything so far! You're a great group of VW nuts!

-Greg S. Whitcomb

Reply to
Greg Whitcomb

sometimes I see complete cars with running engines for $500. they might have other troubles. You might get a good engine that way. and lots of other parts that would fit both a Bug and a Ghia.

g adds. MONEY , what a concept

Reply to
BananaRepublican