71 12 volt generator buggered?

Hi All. I think my generator is stuffed but want to see if there is anything else I can do rather than just buy a new one. (Plus I'm not too keen or confident to drop the engine to change it!) Generator light came on. Jumped out to take a look. One of the copper strips had come off and smashed a brush on the way out. I had a spare brush so changed it and kept the copper strip and drove home. It charged for a couple of km's and then light on again. When i got home I glued the copper strip back on the armature and seems secure but no charge and no sparks from the brushes. I did the tests detailed on a couple of sites, ie diconnect and put a volt meter on. Very little charge like 0.3 volt or less (from memory) I also tried polarising and the generator turned ok (only did for a couple of secs.) The brushes appear to be fine, I have rubbed them with a bit of fine grit, and the arnature also, but nothing. I can't undo the darn screw on the bottom brush but I can pull it out of the spring and it looks ok to me. Is there anything else I can try or do i just need to get a new one. How come you can't fix a generator anyway? Always says replace. Thanks for your time. Did I mention this happenned two days after I just got it running from the last problem? Andrew

Reply to
scream

Maybe you already did the tests outlined on my site.

Beyond that, there is not much you can do. And I wouldn't expect a glued-on commutator bar to suvive very long.

It is *possible* (barely) to pull the generator out without dropping the engine. Much easier if the engine is older non-doghouse.

Post back again if you decide to change it.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Ok Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for a second hand generator then. Yes I did the tests from your site. Can I do any more damage if I keep driving it in the meantime and charge up the battery?

Reply to
scream

The danger might be that the gen would fly apart inside and not turn, depriving the engine of the fan. Remote but possible.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

OK thanks for your help.

Reply to
scream

Is this *barely* procedure the one where you remove the decklid hinges and the carbuerator, like explained in the Bentley manual? Or is there another that requires less dessasembly?

Reply to
strick242

That's the one. And you still need a crowbar with a doghouse fan shroud.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim