Key buzzer help

When I bought my car (1970 beetle) the key buzzer didn't work since the gray wire on the ignition switch was cut off. I bought a new ign. switch and hooked everything up like it is in the wiring diagram but it still doesn't work. Any ideas on how to fix this? And also is the gray wire suppose to be a ground or have power running through it? The gray wire on my car has power going through it when the ign. switch is in the lock position.

Reply to
haught_hazel

One side of the buzzer goes to hot-all-the-time fuse. Other side goes to door switch (Gray) and from there to Ign sw. (Think of the buzzer as a pull-down resistor and the Ign sw as going "Low".)

Ground the wire from the Ign sw. If the buzzer now sounds, the new switch is bad or is missing an internal ground.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim