74 Beetle won't start

I just put the stock engine back in my 74 Beetle sedan after changing the jugs and a few other things. Now it won't start. That starter seems to be working fine but the engine turns very slowly. There's also a rapid clicking sound as I keep the key in the start position. Any ideas?

Keep in mind, I'm not a mechanic and I'm learning as I go. Spell it out to me.

Ryan J. Mills

Reply to
Ryan J. Mills

The rapid clicking usually signals a weak battery, or poor battery cable connections. It's worth checking the ground strap on the front of the tranny too.

Try swapping a battery from another car if cables all check.

It's also possible that the engine is a lot tighter than it was. See if you can turn it by hand (grab the Gen pulley with gloves on. Might have to press on the belt to keep it from slipping.) If you can't turn it by hand, there may be a problem.

You can also push-start the car, but I would want to be sure there is not excessive friction first.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim