Starter bushing on 74 beetle

I just tried to install a starter on my 74 beetle sedan. I got the old bushing out using a tap without difficulty. However, the new one just would not go in no matter what I did. I ended up breaking it. I've done this before and the new bushing just went right in very easily. Why won't this one go in. Am I missing something? Is there some special tool that might help me? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ryan J. Mills

Reply to
Ryan J. Mills

Hmmm Wrong bushing? The 6V bushing was larger OD. See the 6V/12V article on my web site.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim