74 Super and the brakes that go with it

I have a 74 Super and brake problems that go with it. I'm still learning and reading but haven't found anything that matches my problem. After replacing the front wheel cylinders and bleeding the lines, I noticed that my brake shoes don't move that much when applying the pedal to the fullest. Very little, indeed, about half a centimeter for each shoe. This doesn't seem right. It seems like they should move quite a bit more, about 1 to 2 cm, at least. I haven't replaced the master cylinder or the hoses. (Actually, I'm dreading trying to replace the master, that's why I want to make sure I have everything else out of the way.) I don't think it's the hoses, because fluid comes out of the bleed valves easily. Do I need to do the job I'm dreading? It also seems like the shoes aren't moving because the spring that attaches the shoes are really tight and that the top part of the shoe is rubbing too much to the brake plate. Thanks!

-John

Reply to
halcyonic88

John,

I replaced the Master Cylinder of my 74 SB and it fixed the spongy brakes. And if I can do it, so can you. Was pretty painless. Go with the German MC and not the Brazilian one. Replace hoses at same time while you're at it.

My next job is to do what you've already done...wheel cylinders, brake kit...when I can figure what I'm supposed to be exactly.

Tom

Reply to
Bugzai