Brakes almost done

OK, let's see if I forgot anything:

4 hoses 4 brake cylinders 1 Overnight delivery on above items 1 master cylinder 1 set rear brake shoes 8 brake springy holder thingies and cups 4 drum inspections (they were all fine) 1 less than extraordinary 1/2" drive breaker bar from the local FLAPS (broken) 1 more than extraordinary 1/2" drive breaker bar (Craftsman) from Sears 1 36mm Socket 1 three foot pipe (the handle from my Hi-Lift jack) 1 section of hose for bleeding the brakes (have to buy tomorrow) 2 large cotter pins for the rear axle nuts 1 6mm or 7mm wrench for bleeding the brakes (have to check the toolkit in the truck in the morning) 1 Ball jar for bleeding the brakes 2 big containers of brake fluid 2 cans (buy one, get one free) brake parts cleaner spray 1 piece of mind that my car will stop correctly when I'm done

Man, so far that busted brake cylinder has cost me $275. And I thought it was going to cost about $75..

Maybe VW parts aren't quite as cheap as I thought. :-)

(At least I got a good breaker bar, 36mm socket and a can of brake parts cleaner out of the deal).

Reply to
Malcolm

See, this is the type of mechanical jargon I need to learn ;-) "8 brake springy holder thingies and cups" !!!

Susan

74 Std "Betty"

Reply to
Susan S.

I had to go to the craftsman 3/4" breakerbar as I can almost twist the end off of the 1/2", but still I can't get my wheel nuts loose. I haven't extended the already 3 feet with extra pipe, but that'll be last resort before I cave. When I get around to doing my rears again, I'll just pop by my local 76 and flash $40 to the mechanic for a quicky impact wrench job to loosen 'em for me.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Exactly. You'll need to also become familiar with the veeblefetzer, the whatsit and the thingummy.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

... being sure when you step on the brakes: Priceless!

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Well, if you were to ask my neighbor, he'd say I've found the "GOOD GOD" part often, as that seems to be what I've been screaming out every time I've been working on it. Especially when the bolt just absolutely won't come off !!!

Susan

Reply to
Susan S.

veeblefetzer - alpine hat worn with lederhosen?

Tony

Reply to
Tony Bennett

"Malcolm" wrote

It may be too late to suggest this .... but if you don't already have `em, you'll need a set of flare nut wrenches.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

you'll need a set of flare nut wrenches.

Yup, too late. I kept seeing references to them in my manuals. I got by just fine with an 11mm open end wrench. I can see where the flare nut wrench may have been handy, but I didn't strip anything, break anything or round off anything.

Also, in the front anyway, I just loosened the brake hose from the frame fitting, then removed each wheel cylinder with the hose still attached. You can pull the entire thing out through the hole in the backing plate just fine.

Reply to
Malcolm

...just a note on this. A high quality open wrench will beat the hell out of a cheap flare wrench in most cases. In other words, if you have a quality set of wrenches, and are considering buying a cheap flare wrench because you will seldom use it....don't bother. A quality flare wrench is a nice item to have on hand, the chep ones will flex and round off the fittings. Copious use of penetrating oil...such as PB Blaster, and prudent use of heat when necessary will usually persuade stubborn lines.

...Glad to hear you got by, just thought I'd add this for anybody following this thread that might be doing this job in the near future.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian