'78 bus 2.0L cold oil leak?

Finally got the beast back together and running good, but she's got a nasty oil leak when cold. Doesn't seem to hardly leak at all once its warmed up, but it pours out when its cold. Dripping right off the oil filter. Can't tell where the heck it's coming from. Any thoughts?

-Matt

Reply to
matthew j henschel

First, I know nothing about late model buses. So my advice is pretty worthless. But, I have had this problem with several vehicles over the years - most recently on my wifes 99 Honda Civic. Every time, it's turned out to be an oil pan gasket.

Does the bus have a rubber or oil gasket that runs across the bottom of the engine? When those start to go, they leak a lot at startup and shutdown, but not so much while running hot. The fix is usually to replace that gasket and put sealant on *both* sides when putting it back on (and torque it evenly all the way around).

Don't know if that helps. I'm not at all familiar with your engine. :-(

-Steve Ballantyne

Reply to
steve.ballantyne

Air cooled? Possibly oil cooler or the oil filter. Not sure of this though.

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote >> Finally got the beast back together and running good, but she's got a >> nasty

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

"dave AKA vwdoc1" wrote in news:kNNyi.4030$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.net:

I was considering it might be the oil cooler, but I'd figure that would get WORSE when it got warm? This is the 2.0 FI motor.

Reply to
matthew j henschel

Reply to
John

I was thinking that when those seals warmed up and swelled some the leak would slow or stop. Also pressure is usually the highest when the oil is thick and cold. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

"John" wrote in news:fah0jb$273$ snipped-for-privacy@news-01.bur.connect.com.au: I had that thought myself. Does that seem possible? I don't know enough about the oil circuits on this thing. I guess I'll clean it (them?) out next oil change and see if it helps. If not, I'll be dropping the motor to change that seal... or, can it be changed with the motor in on the pancakes? Looks almost like it could be...

Reply to
matthew j henschel
9 times out of 10, it is the oil pressure sending unit. It is above the filter and fools a lot of people....

Reply to
Karl