oil leak

ive got an oil leak on my 96 escort ive checked it and it is coming from what i would call the oil filter housing but i just want to know the proper name. its just behind where the oil filter screws on, is it possible to change ive looked but i cant find any bolts holding it on

Reply to
liquidpoop

It could possibly be coming from the oil pressure switch which is located in this area, they commonly develop a leak with age. It screws into the block very close to the oil filter, depending on the engine type the oil filter may screw directly onto the block (hence no bolts as per your description)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Is it just a bit of seaping around the gasket seal between engine and pump or is it dripping onto road?

If its ust a slight seap then forget it. If its a drip, then I'd replace the gasket, pump and filter in one go. On the other hand, if its a banger you are running into the ground, it will almost certainly go on for another

10,000 miles with a small drip providing you check to oil now and then.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Harvest

its not overly bad i have had to top up the oil once or twice in about

4 months ive cleaned up the area a few times and it seemed to have stopped for a while it only leaks when its been standing for a few days. The car is a bit rough but it starts and drives ok besides being sluggish but thats a turbo problem which im trying to sort out, trying my best not to run it into the ground. i think its more than likely the pump its got a rubber pipe going into the top of it and a small pipe which looks like a sort of bleed valve and there is a large nut about 32mm or thereabouts on the opposite side from the filter
Reply to
liquidpoop