A complete Newbie needs help

Well, that and to have reliable transportation. I got the Muir book back around 1980 (before they revised the appendix with stuff for newer models) before I got my bug, and even to my inexperienced eyes it was obvious that a good deal of it wasn't applicable to the bugs I was looking at to purchase. Still, it does have useful info as well and I like the attitude he presented. Later, when I ran a large bookstore I got pretty much every VW book and manual around as well.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

People on vacation don't bring their laptops,... unless you are like me . when most people think of Watkins Glen they picture a backwoods country setting,... and except for NASCAR weekend it is. But what they don't know is that there are all kinds of WiFi Hotspots that allow you to check your email or surf the net for free,.. The true Computer geeks no about them but the average joe has no clue . Besides,.. I hate working on laptops!!!!!

my

From what I've been told,.. our vintage race is the "Biggie" for the vintage race fans,.. sort of the Daytona 500 of Vintage racing . People come from all over the world for this one weekend and Friday is the big day to come. Even the local schools get out at noon,... mostly I think because there is no way the busess can move around with all that traffic .

But it is well worth seeing this event at least once,.. You can't imagine what it's like watching 200 old race cars drive into town. the noise is deafening and smell of oil and smoke,.. it's amazzing. they all come in around 4pm and the reinactment goes down at about 6pm,.. so all you have to do is walk down the street to see all these cars and even talk to their owners. If I had the time I would digitize a few video clips and post them for everyone to see,.. But my wife's Grandmother died this morning and that means we will be running around doing the funeral thing,... so I won't be back at my PC till at least Thursday afternoon,.. so maybe I will try something then if you are interested.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Reply to
ilambert

Reply to
ilambert

there's not a manufacturer out there that suggest you let a cold engine idle to "warm up"...for good reason...most "wear" occurs in cold engines....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Funny you should say that ! Thats what I thought too.

I Just bought a Sazuki JLX for my wife. Browsing though the owners manual I was MOST surprised to read - they recommend warming the engine for a few minutes before driving off ! I can't get my head around that one !

Rich

Reply to
tricky

truely is odd...normal recommendation is to start engine and only idle for about 30 or less...just enough time to get the vital fluids circulating..then drive off, but drive easily....driving heats the internals evenly and quickly whereas idling does not....not that anyone actually follows the manual especially when its ass cold outside...LOL

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Reply to
ilambert

pre luber only helps with "dry" starts...period...doesn't compensate for wear that happens when the engine isn't running within its designed parameters, as far as tollerances....such as when cold...th engine may eventually come up to temp at idle, but it sure won't be quick or even....let your aircooler run at idle and watch your guages....you can see exactly *how* long it takes to come up to temp....had this discussion on thesamba awhile back.....my car idled in my driveway for twenty minutes and the thermostat never opened more than halfway....can't see how you could even consider that "warmed up"...but to each his own...as far as driving away with the choke on and "washing" the cylinders it won't happen...if you "load" the *engine* as you describe the choke opens up, as it is designed to do....but as i have said to people before, don't take my word for it....pop off your aircleaner and check it out for yourself....even in the dead of winter a healthy choke element will open very quickly when adjusted properly....the factory recommendations you dismiss are not some alterior motive to get your money for failed parts....do you wear a tinfoil beanie and paint your windows so no one can watch you? or just another armchair mechanic?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani
**UP HERE** (Another damned top poster!) With the quad CHT gauge it was really interesting to watch the differences between the individual cylinders as they heated up. I got #3 to behave pretty much the same as #1 by honing it to a looser piston fit. Before that, #3 was always 50° warmer than #1. #2 & #4 were always a bit cooler than 1&3 until the engine was put under a hard load. The four CHT gauge needles would fall into line and behave in perfect unison to the top of the hill, then when the load was gone, they'd go back to doing their own thing.

WTH does this have to do with the thread? Nothing, I guess, but I'm gettin' on in years and most any comment can trigger one of my stories! - BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

Reply to
ilambert

Reply to
ilambert

f*ck off pondscum...we seemed to be having a sensible discussion till you got your feelings hurt because i don't agree with you...nor does most of the world....and yes it does see you are quite the armchair mechanic....now before i forget, f*ck off....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

*sigh*, i've been replaced
Reply to
johnboy

John, John, John....i know you are a little under the weather now, and probably need a pick-me-up, so you feel free to f*ck off too...okay? LOL

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

...........What about me? It's been a long time since you've told me to f*ck off.

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Fuck off, Timmy. (Just filling in for Chris since he doesn't seem to be around right now). As always, glad I could help! :-)

Reply to
Shag

thanks shag, but i don't want timmy mad at me...i got this one.... here ya go tim....

Joey Tribiani

Reply to
ilambert

Incorrect. The Weber 44mm has a choke and no shaft or butterfly. So does the side-draft. It is an enrichening circuit. It is not often hooked up, but it is in there.

Reply to
johnboy