a motorcycle jack worked for removing an engine.

My first VW engine pull.

I choose to use the cheapy $69 "motorcycle jack" from kragen. The craftsman one was nicer, but was $99. I thought about using a standard, large floor jack, but this motorcycle type has a one foot square top. That should be nice and sturdy without any wobble.

Used a 2x4 at the pulley end to match the pitch of the car afterthe photo was shot.

Dropped the engine like 4 inches then realized, "now whatstupid?". Got the idea to use 2 floor jacks on the heat exchangersto balance it while removing the cinders.
Car was still too low, had to jack it to the sky.
Success. New motor in the background.
Hello nakedness.

Next time I won't jack the car so tall at first while dropping it down.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Good job. Never thought of using a motorcyle jack.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Thanks Max. I pulled the tranny today. It came out very easy. I need to grease my jack as it doesn't come down on it's own without kicking it hard. It was wobbly ;)

All the body parts on the bottom are coated in road tar yuck. What's a good cleaner to use? Now that the whole area is bare, I should clean it. I hear Tide in warm water with a scrub brush is good.

I tried cleaning the big chunks with a wire brush and brought out some surface rust. Looks like I'll be doing some painting before the new stuff goes in.

David Gravereaux

Hi, My trick is to use the floor jack for the engine, the engine hoist for the body once the engine is sitting on the jack. :-) Of course the only two bugs I have now are bajas; their bodies do not need to be raised. Still want a full-bodied bug, though... What determines an eastern or western spiral arm in the milkyway? ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver