My welding gets a grade of D, but I'm having fun

About 7 years ago I used an arc welder to repair a trailer, but have little actual experience. A friend is letting me borrow his TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welder for doing some work on my Super Beetle.

My best bead on the practice scraps:

Half done mounting one of the two GeneBerg intermediary tranny mounts to the frame horn:
At least I'm having fun. A good weld doesn't have to look good, just hold... I tweaked my back yesterday trying to hold my body high enough off the crawler to see while doing that weld. I should have just lowered the car a few notches on the stands. I'll do that today when I get over to the garage and finish it.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

welding is fun :)

Reply to
The Queen of Cans and Jars

If only I can get the real welds on the car to look as smooth while turned upside down and my body contorted. Thank you.

Yes, I want more practice. It's very satisfying to know I'm doing the work on my car myself. The muffler welds will be a whole lot of fun once I get that far. I'm adding another two braces on the framehorn to preload stress to the shock mounts on tuesday or so.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

My hat is off to you. I've never welded and though it looks to be a very handy skill, it also looks very daunting to me. I's a scared.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Final form finished yesterday:

A bit goobery, but acceptable. Today, I'm taking a day off on the project to wait for the UPS guy to bring me more goodies that I need for the next stuff.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

"The more the glob, the better the job."

Reply to
Shaggie