A pillar repair

I've been looking for a second project to work on along with my running/driving '64 Bug. I found what I thought might be a good candidate for a complete body off resto project but the car has sat for a long time and the lower corners of the windshield have rust. The driver side rusted through and let water in to the lower 'A' pillar. Repairing the lower 'A' pillar looks like it could be as scary as doing a heater channel replacement. From the pix I have it looks like the lower A pillar and hinge would have to be cut away, the top of the heater channel patched, a lower A pillar graft would have to be welded in and the fenderwell patched. My welding skills, after a bit of practice, are usually fair to good. Does anybody have any experience with this type of repair? I'm not sure that I want to be the one to rescue this '58 Beetle.

>>Mike
Reply to
Mike64Bug

Braukuche

I just finished repairing those sections on a 59 Mike and Dans right its not that hard . I hope to have pics up soon. the only thing I would suggest is getting replace met panals from Hooky's in the UK . There panals are not perfect but much better quality then anything else I've seen.

Mario Vintage Werks restorations Playing Hooky when I can

Reply to
Kafertoys

A few of my friends have used those panels and speak highly of them. One told me that the only panels he's found to be better than them were NOS!

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

that looks like a heater channel replacement waiting to happen...

I bet that H/C is full of rot... looks like it from the pics. If the top has rot - the bottom will most likely have rot also.

Reply to
dragenwagen

A US source for this part can be found at

. I bought these for restoration of my 71 convert. Parts were of standard aftermarket quality. Service was very good. Tabco supplies many of the big name catalog houses.

Chris from Perry

71 SB conv 78 bay bus

Reply to
tim horvath