1973 Campmobile HELP

Hi All !

I just got a 1973 Campmobile...WHAT A MESS!!!!

It has a 2.0 GE series (1977 l-jetronic?) engine that has been reto fitted with center mount carb kit 26/27mm or some nonsense. I get 10 mpg and have no power at all.

I dunno, should I round up all the FI stuff to bring it back to original or go with a redline fuel pump and a fuel regulator to support dual carbs?

Cosmetically the van is fair.

I do need a drivers side vent wing assembly. It seems that there was a break in at some point and the entire wing and frame is destroyed, a couple deep pru marks remain in the door but its nor bent or distorted. PLEASE someone help me a get wind wing!!!!!

Also it is missing the engine deck cusion/bed part. The rear bench is fine. I will have to make up one, does anyone have the dimensions or instruction to make a good copy?

Any help or coments are welcome.

If you have parts/ideas/ a used stove-fridge box with lp tank for me please email me directly or post a message here.

Thanks Tom Matous

Reply to
ce

YES for the duals and electric pump, and regulator. :) Throw in a nice cam too. And exhaust. It'll change the whole beast into something it should have been to begin with.

The stock FI might need some skilled work to make it keep up with the mods. What you get is a pile of old stock FI equipment, designed to lug the engine around "adequately". With dual carbs you get that, PLUS future reserve if you want to make power modifications later.

FI gives better driveability, starting, and fuel economy. When it works.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

What should be my mileage/horsepower with the dual carbs?

Also I has bee retrofitted with a 4 speed stick, Is this better than the automatic it came with?

Tom Matous

Reply to
ce

Maybe you can use the stock inyectors and driver them with a Megasquirt box.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Is the center mount carb a Weber?

If so, IMOP, it is all you need. Poor mileage and power could also result from poor timing. I just did a lot of reading on the forums at

about timing. Many late modlel bus ownerscomplaining about poor mileage and power. I am currenly having timingproblems myslef and have distributor problems. And I am getting about 15 mpgand poor power curve. And I have a new 2L There are some real good experts with our bus years, over at the samba. Plenty of parts too. Do check it out.

--Steve

74 Westie, NJ
Reply to
driver

I just bought a replacement engine with the dual carbs its OEM used and not tinkered with at all. I want to rebuild this one instead of sorting out the 2.0 engine. its stock and looks like it has all the tin and stuff also its from a 73 like mine.

Reply to
ce