Adjust Emergency Brake Cable

When I put on the Emergency Brake it goes a long way up. The only way I can get it to hold (lock) is to hold the button in while lifting the brake handle then releasing it at the end its travel. How do I adjust the cables?

Cheers, David

Reply to
Type 181 Registry

How do I adjust the cables?

...usually...you don't. Most often its the rear brakes that are out of adjustment or worn. Check condition of, and adjust them first as needed. The rear brakes can be adjusted by turning teh adjustment stars out until the pads just lightly drag....do both shoes evenly and hit the brakes in between every couple turns to re-center the brakes. If you are sure the brake shoes are not worn, the drums are within tolerances, and everything is adjusted properly...and you e-brake still needs adjustment...thne simply pull back the boot and loosen the lock nuts...tighten the tensioning nuts evenly until the brakes engage in 3 clicks tighten back down the lock nut and replace the boot.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

First: Adjust the rear brakes AT THE REAR with the E-brake lever fully down. Do this first because that's where the problem usually is and doing it in the wrong order will leave things all screwed up.

Once you have the rear shoes adjusted properly you are 99% likely to find that your E-brake now works fine. If it doesn't, check back here.

-

Jim Adney