Aftermarket alternator for a 2.0L type 4 in bus?

Hello! I currently run a stock 55 amperes alternator in my Westy and would like to upgrade to something beefier. I know that 70 amperes alts are/were available but find the additionnal capacity not worth it.

Anyone know of something else that would fit?

I looked into 90 amperes models from 80s Vanagons but it looks like they won't be acceptable in an aircooled bus because of the additionnal heat of the aircooled type 4 engine.

New, remanufactured or used. Internally regulated would be nice.

Thanks!

Reply to
Eric Desrochers

You need to figure out a way to modify the factory alternator cooling ductwork for the non-atock alternator in a T4. Cooling is there, just need to feed the air through the alternator without leaks. oh yea, some alternators have a pulley that acts as a fan, pushing air in from the pulley end. if you also push in air from the backside like you do in a T4 alternator, it won't work... hehe.

How about taking a stock alternator to a shop that specializes in car electricals, and have it rewound for higher output? I used to know places that did it. It might be best to send in a brand new one or have them rebuild everything in the old one so it doesn't break on you later. New diode bridge, brushes, bearings, regulator....

jan

Reply to
jan.m.andersson

Thanks for the rewinding suggestion!

As for the type 4 engine alternator, the 70 amperes version *do* have a fan on the pulley *and* a cooling boot.

I don't know if the flow of the cooling air goes from the fan or toward it nor where the boot takes/expell the air?

Those 70 amperes alts were often fitted on Westy camper buses from

74-on, with BA-4 gas heater. Those are particularly popular in Canada!
Reply to
Eric Desrochers

It's been a while since I had a stock cooled T4 to play with... but the boot on teh backside got it's cooling air from the fanhousing, so definitely the air went through the backside and th eonly way out... must have been out teh pulley end?

Jan

Reply to
Jan

That would be the under-the-bus BA-6 heater. The BA-4 was used on the 411-412.

Reply to
Karl