2.0L or 1.8L heads for a 2.0L bus?

I hear that the 1.8L heads fit the 2.0L block, and have bigger valves too boot. Will this work, and if so, will it work on a stock motor with fuel injection?

Chris

-1978 Westy, 2.0L FI

Reply to
C-Man

The smaller valves are for better fuel mixing and low end torque. They keep the air velocity higher for the same amount of flow. The bigger valves, of course will allow you to go faster than the FI will let you! (Unless you trick it) -BaH Oh - BTW that sounds right, but others know the swap-ability better than I. Heads for non-FI engines will not have the drilled-and-tapped hole for the CHT sensor. I do know that you cannot run '79-'80-'81 heads on your '78 without swapping the heat exchangers also. If you get to swapping parts from one head to another, be aware there are some weird subtle changes, like when I tried to swap the valve train from a '78 to a '79. The rockers look the same, but are different enough that they do not work. There is a letter code on them and if I remember correctly, the '79 and later were letter w and on.

Reply to
Busahaulic

I ended up getting 1.8L heads... ahem, how do i *trick* it? (i.e. could you point me towards a good source?) Thx, Chris

Reply to
C-Man

Get the 2L 3 stud intake heads --- they have 42x36 valves. The other 2L are

37.5x33. The 1.8 FI has 39.3x34 or 41x34 if carbed.
Reply to
Wolfgang

If you use these 914 2.0 heads in a bus, you will need to weld the spark plug holes closed and drill new ones. The 3 stud head spark plug holes are angled different......

Reply to
Karl

It has to do with getting the FI to extend the injector dwell period plus other stuff. E-mail me if you want some specifics of do a google search for this group - I've described it pretty well a few times. -BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

I'll do a google search first, then get back to you if i get stuck. Thanks a bunch,

C-Man

Reply to
C-Man