Alternator - use exteral reg when not working?

So, if my alternator D+ will not light up (and bulb is good), then the alternator is just shot. Right? Can I then somehow use an external regulator to save this situation?

Reply to
J Stafford

The bulb is supposed to light with the ignition on and the engine not running. With a volt meter on the D+ lead right on the alternator, what does it read when the engine is running @ idle?

Can't you just replace the regulator that's inside the alternator? It looks like it disassembles.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

You mean the GEN light doesn't come on? If so, that would mean a serious internal problem with the "trio" diodes.

Hook a 12V bulb from battery (off the coil) directly to D+ as a better test. If still no light, I'm saying it's toast.

Look on my web site for a diagram of the internal workings.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

.....................I've never heard of anyone other than an automotive electric shop rebuilding an alternator/regulator. They're normally swapped out for a new or rebuilt unit by most mechanics. Of course, I've never met a mechanic who qualifies for genius status. Adjustment & calibration of a regulator shouldn't be that hard but what exactly is it that you're going to rebuild?...........the windings?..........contacts?

Reply to
Tim Rogers

The regulator diodes. You know, the gizmos that sit on top, under the removable hickie around D+. (Some are sealed, this one is not.)

Reply to
J Stafford

Huh? o/

Not that hard. The most difficult to obtain tool involved is knowledge and common sense ;) (I can see how your average american could have trouble locating some...hehehehehehe )

Of course. Easy money. Having one repaired by a shop is not cost effective, when labor is charged. Do it yourself, and you can do it for 10-20 dollars and the damn thing is as good as new and will serve you another 20-30 years. :D

I haven't seen much need to adjust the regulators. The electronic ones are sealed, nothing to tweak unless you manage to melt off the sealing material, whatever it is. All components are immersed in some black s*it that's quite hard. The "normal" type regulators allow for some voltage output adjustment (again, if you know what to do) but normally only need to have the contact points cleaned up.

The external resistor coil at the bottom gets beat up easily. Don't remember what it's for, but one that lost teh coil still worked ok and kept the battery charged, I could swear it did..

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Sorry, that went over my head. How was it elitist?

Reply to
J Stafford